Sunday, November 15, 2009

So as I mentioned in an earlier post, Im am uprooting myself and moving over to Christina Ryan way Arundel.


Im loving how close the river is, and the pond just metres away how lovely!
I know that I am going to enjoy living here.
So on that note I was wandering around our current backyard with a spade and looking for any small seedlings I could nab before I went. I came across a cluster of 15 bulbs (some TINY one quite large) That I just identified as Drimiopsis maculata bulbs.
THis is what they look like.

Notice the lovely patterned leaves. When it eventually flowers the flowers stalks host lovely little white blossoms


funnily enough I did some reading up on the plant and more than one website insists that that "The bulbs are intensely irritant and should be handled with caution."
The evergreen Drimiopsis (previously known as Drimiopsis maculata, but now included in the genus Ledebouria as L. petiolata) is a very popular house-plant, producing attractive arrow-shaped leaves marked with dark green spots.
Species of Orntihogalum are among the most poisonous plants in South Africa and may lead to stock losses if contaminated fodder is eaten. Species of Drimia and Bowiea are also highly toxic but are used in small doses in traditional medicine to treat various illnesses. Overdosage can be fatal.

So no problems when I repotted them...But I didn't get any sap on my hands.  I have poison bulbs...
They like sandy soil so I am gonna repot them again tomorrow in a mix of peat moss and succulant potting mix.  Wish me luck!  (these are definatly not be going in the vege garden that's for sure!)

No comments: