Saturday, September 5, 2009

A New Day, A New Dress!

I was wandering around in the op shop the other day and I picked up a men's button up shirt. It was a dark blue cotton with lighter blue batik designs on the bottom and on the cuff.. Perhaps you have seen shirts like this before. I had a toddlers tutorial in mind like this one at Craftster. (geeze I love that website!!) But it sorta evolved into something else. When I got it home and looked at the beautiful designs on the shirt.. ..I got to thinking.. why not make a "Me" sized dress instead??
I wanted some special sleeves so I looked through all my patterns ( I have a suitcase weighing 25 kilos full of paper patterns) and found this 1970's pattern from Simplicity. those sleeves had the special touch I was looking for!
I unpicked the sleeves and realized that I was going to have to alter the sleeves a little to get them to fit so I made the cap a little lower. I gathered and pleated the sleeves (which I really enjoyed and they turned out great!!) I then adjusted the body of the shirt with a dress form and a few fittings so it fit my shape, and sewed the whole thing together!
Love Love Love it!!



No comments: